Though it was a four day week, we seemed to squeeze in five days’ worth of learning!
This week…
We kicked off the holiday season with a gingerbread unit. We read several versions of this well-known folk tale, including the big book version. Following each reading we discussed the likenesses and differences among each title.


Reader’s Workshop:
We worked on retelling stories (especially gingerbread stories). The points on retellings (for now) are that we retell with our own words and work from beginning to end. We also worked with our reading partners on turn taking telling our favorite parts of stories as well as practicing retelling books from our book bins. This week we reviewed the idea of staying on task and using our workshop time wisely. Several students spent independent reading time avoiding actual reading practice and instead “visiting” with students seated nearby.


Writer’s Workshop:
I especially enjoyed our writing lessons this week. We brainstormed purposes for writing and students helped generate a list of things for which people use writing. Students then chose something to write from the list such as a list, poster, book etc. The next day we took a walk around our building finding signs and written items around the school. Over a two day period students created a variety of signs. Several are shown below.






Math:
We started the week learning about pan balances and how we can compare objects’ weights. Students also learned to make predictions regarding weight comparisons and then checking them. We continued our measurement work by measuring gingerbread men with various manipulatives such as cubes, paper clips and crayons. We worked with adding with a game using dice and cubes. We ended the week by writing our numbers on our December calendars. I was delightfully surprised with the speed and accuracy I saw in many students writing numbers 1 through 31.







Work stations:
Writing station- Took words from our December word poster and created a sentence on each page with a December word. When you look at your child’s writing look specifically at sentence writing, as this was difficult for some. The noun in each sentence should be spelled correctly (using the chart). Most students are also able to spell simple sight words at this time including see, I, & the. Students were reminded of how many kindergarten books we read use repeated patterns such as I like_____. Or I see the ____. Several students challenged themselves by writing different sentence structures on each page. I’m so proud of each student’s individual progress!
Other stations were…gingerbread men memory game, color by number ( I consistently return to color word work throughout the year. Students are encouraged to read color words by using our color wall to match spelling/color. We traced and painted large gingerbread men (and decorated then together on Friday). Students used “turtle talk” sound spelling to create a gingerbread man diagram. You can see various other work stations in the photos below.









Guided Reading Group Information:
I met with reading groups all 4 days this week. This is truly the most beneficial learning component of our day. Please help me stress the importance of reading instruction in your home. My goal is to keep each child fully engaged during this brief small group lesson. Each day that I meet with your child for group time we do several things: Our lesson begins by your child rereading the book brought home from the previous lesson, then this book is stored inside his/her book bin to continue reading during morning book bin time or Reader’s Workshop. Next I introduce a new book by giving the title and asking students to take a picture walk. I have explained a picture walk on a past blog…it is familiarizing ourselves with the pictures throughout the book to prepare for the content of the book. This engages prior knowledge and helps make predictions of the text. Often I also prep students with new vocabulary or sight words in the book that may be known or new. Third, we read the text together on each page working on strategies to decode any unknown words. Finally, students reread this book quietly while I listen in on them helping as needed. At this time, your child should be very comfortable with reading group routines and is asked to reread the new book at home 2-3 times for practice. IT IS PROVEN THAT READING AND REREADING IS THE VERY BEST WAY TO IMPROVE READING ACCURACY AND FLUENCY! Please be sure to make time for this reading homework. If the book is difficult for your child in any way, please write me a quick note. Also, please help your child return these books the next day. My present challenge is being sure every child takes his/her reading book home from his/her hallway cubby.
Noteworthy News:
Our own Caroline-Daisy cut her hair to donate it to “Wigs for Kids”. What a wonderful act of kindness.
Winter Gear:
Oh how I love winter in kindergarten!!! I found myself praying for patience on that 1st boot/ snow pant morning. Just to let you know about our winter clothing routins:
· Snow pants hang in lockers at all times
· Boots are parked in front of lockers
· “Our gloves go in our hats…our hats go in our sleeves…then we’ll be ready when it’s time for us to leave”
· Coats (with gloves/hats in sleeve) hang on the coat rack.
· At lunch time students dress in snow pants & boots and walk to the lunch room in them. I push the loaded coat rack into the lunch room where students will retrieve coats before heading outside for recess after eating.
· After recess students change out of snow gear and return it to locker/coat rack.
· It is very important to clearly label your child’s snow gear. We have at least 5 pair of plain black snow pantsJ It is also important for your child to practice zipping and dressing him/herself.
If possible, please consider sending shoes without laces for your child to wear in school. With 28 students changing out of boots and into shoes it is very difficult and time consuming to tie so many so quickly.
Holiday Party and activities:
Liz Vachon and I have been planning our upcoming holiday party. All Dublin holiday parties take place on Friday afternoon, December 16th (our last day before break). We’ve done most of the shopping and have most needed items. A letter should be coming home soon with more information.
Additionally, I have special projects and gift making plans throughout the next two weeks. The materials for many of these projects have added up to more than I first expected. If you wouldn’t mind donating $2 or $3 towards them it would be helpful and appreciated.
Book Fair:
· Thank you to so many families for the classroom gift certificates towards books! I can’t wait to choose more books for our classroom library.
· Our class will visit the book fair this Tuesday during our library time.
· It works well if you put your child’s book money in a labeled envelope. Just a warning…there are many “extras” at the fair such as small toys and posters. If you prefer that money be spent on books only, please write this on the envelope. There will be parent volunteers from the fair helping us on our shopping day.
Have a wonderful week.
This week…
We kicked off the holiday season with a gingerbread unit. We read several versions of this well-known folk tale, including the big book version. Following each reading we discussed the likenesses and differences among each title.
Reader’s Workshop:
We worked on retelling stories (especially gingerbread stories). The points on retellings (for now) are that we retell with our own words and work from beginning to end. We also worked with our reading partners on turn taking telling our favorite parts of stories as well as practicing retelling books from our book bins. This week we reviewed the idea of staying on task and using our workshop time wisely. Several students spent independent reading time avoiding actual reading practice and instead “visiting” with students seated nearby.
Writer’s Workshop:
I especially enjoyed our writing lessons this week. We brainstormed purposes for writing and students helped generate a list of things for which people use writing. Students then chose something to write from the list such as a list, poster, book etc. The next day we took a walk around our building finding signs and written items around the school. Over a two day period students created a variety of signs. Several are shown below.
Math:
We started the week learning about pan balances and how we can compare objects’ weights. Students also learned to make predictions regarding weight comparisons and then checking them. We continued our measurement work by measuring gingerbread men with various manipulatives such as cubes, paper clips and crayons. We worked with adding with a game using dice and cubes. We ended the week by writing our numbers on our December calendars. I was delightfully surprised with the speed and accuracy I saw in many students writing numbers 1 through 31.
Work stations:
Writing station- Took words from our December word poster and created a sentence on each page with a December word. When you look at your child’s writing look specifically at sentence writing, as this was difficult for some. The noun in each sentence should be spelled correctly (using the chart). Most students are also able to spell simple sight words at this time including see, I, & the. Students were reminded of how many kindergarten books we read use repeated patterns such as I like_____. Or I see the ____. Several students challenged themselves by writing different sentence structures on each page. I’m so proud of each student’s individual progress!
Other stations were…gingerbread men memory game, color by number ( I consistently return to color word work throughout the year. Students are encouraged to read color words by using our color wall to match spelling/color. We traced and painted large gingerbread men (and decorated then together on Friday). Students used “turtle talk” sound spelling to create a gingerbread man diagram. You can see various other work stations in the photos below.
Guided Reading Group Information:
I met with reading groups all 4 days this week. This is truly the most beneficial learning component of our day. Please help me stress the importance of reading instruction in your home. My goal is to keep each child fully engaged during this brief small group lesson. Each day that I meet with your child for group time we do several things: Our lesson begins by your child rereading the book brought home from the previous lesson, then this book is stored inside his/her book bin to continue reading during morning book bin time or Reader’s Workshop. Next I introduce a new book by giving the title and asking students to take a picture walk. I have explained a picture walk on a past blog…it is familiarizing ourselves with the pictures throughout the book to prepare for the content of the book. This engages prior knowledge and helps make predictions of the text. Often I also prep students with new vocabulary or sight words in the book that may be known or new. Third, we read the text together on each page working on strategies to decode any unknown words. Finally, students reread this book quietly while I listen in on them helping as needed. At this time, your child should be very comfortable with reading group routines and is asked to reread the new book at home 2-3 times for practice. IT IS PROVEN THAT READING AND REREADING IS THE VERY BEST WAY TO IMPROVE READING ACCURACY AND FLUENCY! Please be sure to make time for this reading homework. If the book is difficult for your child in any way, please write me a quick note. Also, please help your child return these books the next day. My present challenge is being sure every child takes his/her reading book home from his/her hallway cubby.
Noteworthy News:
Our own Caroline-Daisy cut her hair to donate it to “Wigs for Kids”. What a wonderful act of kindness.
Winter Gear:
Oh how I love winter in kindergarten!!! I found myself praying for patience on that 1st boot/ snow pant morning. Just to let you know about our winter clothing routins:
· Snow pants hang in lockers at all times
· Boots are parked in front of lockers
· “Our gloves go in our hats…our hats go in our sleeves…then we’ll be ready when it’s time for us to leave”
· Coats (with gloves/hats in sleeve) hang on the coat rack.
· At lunch time students dress in snow pants & boots and walk to the lunch room in them. I push the loaded coat rack into the lunch room where students will retrieve coats before heading outside for recess after eating.
· After recess students change out of snow gear and return it to locker/coat rack.
· It is very important to clearly label your child’s snow gear. We have at least 5 pair of plain black snow pantsJ It is also important for your child to practice zipping and dressing him/herself.
If possible, please consider sending shoes without laces for your child to wear in school. With 28 students changing out of boots and into shoes it is very difficult and time consuming to tie so many so quickly.
Holiday Party and activities:
Liz Vachon and I have been planning our upcoming holiday party. All Dublin holiday parties take place on Friday afternoon, December 16th (our last day before break). We’ve done most of the shopping and have most needed items. A letter should be coming home soon with more information.
Additionally, I have special projects and gift making plans throughout the next two weeks. The materials for many of these projects have added up to more than I first expected. If you wouldn’t mind donating $2 or $3 towards them it would be helpful and appreciated.
Book Fair:
· Thank you to so many families for the classroom gift certificates towards books! I can’t wait to choose more books for our classroom library.
· Our class will visit the book fair this Tuesday during our library time.
· It works well if you put your child’s book money in a labeled envelope. Just a warning…there are many “extras” at the fair such as small toys and posters. If you prefer that money be spent on books only, please write this on the envelope. There will be parent volunteers from the fair helping us on our shopping day.
Have a wonderful week.
No comments:
Post a Comment