This week I am assessing students both in group settings and individually with math skills. As you may remember from blogs we've worked a lot with learning to read and write numbers, making patterns, counting, shapes and sorting. Yesterday I met with small groups to have them write numbers in sequence independently. They were not able to use charts or number lines. As I've explained many times to my students, we all bloom at different times. Each kindergarten student is working hard and it is common that s/he be at his/her own pace or level at this time in the year. Our report card standards are viewed as a standard, but may take many children until the end of the year to master. Below are some samples of the number assessment. On the report card we use symbols B,D &S to represent beginning, developing and secure. At this time my hope is to see children starting to grasp the idea of number patterns. They've been learning the rows of our 100's chart by calling them ones, teens, twenties, thirtees etc. If students are getting most of the teen numbers and understanding some of the 20's or 30's they are developing at grade level expectation for this time of year.
Also, I worked individually with students to assess shapes. Some children are still confusing rectangle, square and sometimes triangle.
These papers will be sent home for you to view (and work on if needed over the next few weeks).



No comments:
Post a Comment